Sunday, September 18, 2011

day 101: reading is dreaming with open eyes :)

for ben with love
day 101 and some of my favourite time spent on pinterest is reading the inspirational, challenging, fun, thought provoking, and/or endearing quotes and sayings pinned to peoples boards.  i have many that are pinned to my boards that resonate with me for one reason or another.  this week i am going to spend a whole week dedicated to these quotes and sayings and use them in different ways, shapes, and forms!

today's creation uses this saying:

reading is dreaming with open eyes

it can be found on my kids bedrooms board and was originally pinned from the piccsy website and i loved it as soon as i saw it because it reminds me of my son ... my son reads and that's an understatement. he reads with passion like no one i know.  his best friends are books, once he finished hockey practice yesterday his best friend was a famous five omnibus.  he reads really fast, faster than his mum or dad because he needs to know the story once it has started and i love that.  even though he reads fast he never misses the details because that's what best friends do.  i dream when i listen to sport, for him it is books.

for that reason this saying is being made into a pillow for his bed ... just in case anyone forgets what books mean to him and why they are so important to him ... like me when i find him sitting by his door with his pillow using the hall light to finish reading a book at 9pm ... his aunt was just the same and luckily she turned out awesome (i'm not biased at all)!

the actual creation is really easy, i typed it up in word and then printed it out on fabric, sewed it into a cushion, and threw it on his bed!  if you haven't printed on fabric before, YOU SHOULD ... it's just so cool and the tutorial i did on day 28 from the pickled pepper patch gives you all the info you need to do it yourself :)

the printed saying on fabric

it's resting place :)

outcome:  a neat pillow with something special on it that reminds me how ben sees the world through books ... now that's a cool creation and what's more he loves it too :)

6 comments:

Jen W. said...

Ben is a guy after my own heart! I've always been a big reader - still never go anywhere without a book in my bag. My parents used to wake me up early for school so I could read before I got up. I used to read in the car on the way to school and back! I LOVED Famous Five and Secret Seven - well, anything by Enid Blyton. :) I am still a book junkie - my house looks like a library. That quote and pillow are perfect - think they'll be finding their way into my house. :)

Jenny said...

I like this idea a lot, never knew you could print on regular fabric tho! It's so good to hear your lad is into books in the techno times we find ourselves surrounded by today, nothing quite beats being lost in the story too :)
Jenny x

Kirsty, New Zealand said...

that's so funny jen, ben never enters a car without a book!

i know what you mean jenny, i never knew you could print on fabric either until i found it on pinterest :)

Nadine said...

I love reading like Ben loves reading! Must try the printing on fabric, maybe in the holidays . .

I made 2 toothbrush holders! They're awesome! Thank you! :)

Sewandthecity said...

101 days - wow, still going strong! I love the cushion!

Marie-Anne said...

You are tempting me with this printing on fabric, Kirsty :D
I had to repin it. Thank you for the inspiration...